Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SUPER fun...pretend makeup!!

My darling niece Michelle who has three little darling girls of her own found this idea on a blog somewhere and made some for her girls for Christmas. I LOVE this idea!!!! Since Jibbity is a princess and actually argued with me the other day why she should be allowed to wear the hot pink lipstick she had just put on to Kindergarten.....I knew this would be super fun for her. Ashie also has an obsession with make-up, and constantly asks to put "lips" on, so I knew these would be put to good use!
Here ya go....

Start out with some old make-up containers...

Pick some fun fingernail polish colors...the large compact will take an entire bottle. The smaller eye shadows just a little.

Fill em up, and pound 'em on the counter a little to settle the bubbles.

Let dry for a few days....Jibbity was going crazy waiting for these to dry!!! (Michelle also had the idea to clean the fingernail polish brushes, and let the empty bottles dry. Then they have their own pretend polish too.)

Grab some make-up brushes from the dollar store, or clean some old ones, grab a make-up bag.....and let the fun begin!!!!
This kept them busy for a couple of hours.

Ashie has "painted" my fingernails many times today, and "painting" my toe-nails kept her busy during scripture reading.
So fun!!! Even Hunter Dan thought this was a great idea, and kept touching the compacts to see if they were dry because, "his girls wanted to play with their make-up".
*********************
Woke up to snow this morning...gotta love Spring!!!
Have a FABULOUS day!!!

23 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea. I don't have kids but I want to use this idea next time I babysit!

kimert said...

That is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing! :) and you have beautiful nails, what is your secret???

ham1299 said...

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

Braley Mama said...

I love it!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Annikke said...

What a great idea! I need to do this for my daughter and my niece!

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! Have you considered turning this into a little side business? I don't know if there is a market, but it doesn't seem like it would be too expensive to test the waters!

One caution - if subject to heat, will the nailpolish get liquidy again? Like if the child left the compact on a heating unit by accident, for example?

Hi from SITS!

Mhel said...

I used to play "pretend makeup" with my niece. Twas fun. Just recently I saw a line of cosmetics for kids. yeah, for kids, for the pretend makeup thingy. They just have a different formulation so its hypoallergenic and has a cutesie packaging....

Found you on SITS, happy tuesday!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What a great idea!!! I am SO featuring this on Friday. :) My 2 year old has the same pjs, by the way. ;)

Fab Five said...

I remember seeing this on a blog too. Shell and I must be on the same page. :) But lucky you guys- you actually have girls! Some day maybe I'll be able to make cute little make up for my girls.

shortmama said...

That is an awesome idea!

Valerie said...

What a fantastic, cute idea!

kado! said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE that idea! I was just going to throw out a lot of old compacts and polish...not any more, I'm gonna make some for my nieces!

...that sure looks like M.A.C compacts...you do know you can save those up and turn them in at the MAC counter for a free lipstick...don't you? I think I'll be keeping those ones for myself! ;)

Not Everyones Mama said...

I am so bookmarking this! Thank you! That is a fabulous idea. Now to find some empty containers. I throw mine away right afterwards. My daughters would love this though.
Stopping by from SITS!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

First of all, the name of your blog is just adorable.
And this post is a fabulous idea! So smart and safe. Oh, I bet these litttle sweet girls had the prettiest made up faces- au natural!
Yvonne

Connie said...

Great idea! Your daughters are too cute!

Unknown said...

That is a fantastic idea- too bad my little girl has grown up and wants real makeup now!!

~Becca

bargainblondie said...

This is such a cute idea... I love it and I can't wait to try it out. I really like your blog and I am definitely going to be your newest follower. Keep up the good work!
~Elisabeth

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

Great Idea!!! I should try this with my 4 year old. She was just trying to wear my make-up this morning, lol! Perfect timing! My friend sent me your link and I am am going to follow you!
Bonnie
http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com

Emily said...

I LOVE it! I did this on my blog awhile back too (probably where your friend saw it :) And my girls STILL LOVE it!! Every time their friends come over, they are so happy to play with real-looking make-up and sometimes me and my older 2 girls will have a makeover party (and I don't mind letting them put their "play" makeup on me.) Yours are so cute too....love the colors!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love this idea!! I wanted to let you know that we featured you so come on over and grab a button!!!

Katie said...

This is awesome and exactly what I need to make for my daughter! I actually have some old make up I need to throw out because I wear it so rarely. They'll be perfect for this.

Lindsay said...

I love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing it!!

Lynn said...

This is so cute! I was going to make one myself, but then I saw this pretend make-up on etsy that is non toxic. It was at etsy.com/shop/littlecosmeticsshop .