Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What are YOUR Treasures??

When I graduated from High School my parents gave me a gorgeous cedar chest. I love it, and have kept some very special, and precious "treasures" inside through the years. Every once in a while the kiddos ask to see what is inside, they love to see the things I hold dear to me. Inside there is nothing worth $$$$ value, but there are many journals, some flowers from my Grandmas funeral in a glass case, and a special snow globe from Disneyland that Bug picked out for me when he and his Dad went to California during the divorce.

I decided to share some of my most precious treasures that I keep in my chest. Some are silly, some are sweet, all are memories.

These were Bugs first little slippers. He wore them everywhere, and he loved Elmo!!! It got to the point that his little toes were all the way through, and he didn't care. We got him new ones eventually, but they were never worn like these. I can't throw these out, they make me happy, and remind me of that cute little one year old that never took off his Elmo slippers!! How silly is that?!?
This is Lexlee's blessing dress. My amazing Mom made it for her. I truthfully never thought I'd have a little girl, and when she was born and I realized that I had one after all, I couldn't have been more excited. This dress is gorgeous, and means the world to me. She looked absolutely beautiful, and she is my sweetheart.
Jibbity's first ballet slippers. She started dance when she was 2, and she has loved it ever since. She wore these everywhere, and danced all through the house.(she still does) She wore the bottom of one of them out. They are so tiny, and I love the memories of that little munchkin wearing these everywhere. Makes me smile.
This is the teeny tiny bracelet Ashie wore on her blessing day. It was way to big for her, that doesn't even seem possible now. She has grown so much, and is so stinkin' fun and healthy!!!
My most amazing treasure is the gorgeous quilt my Mom made for me when I got married. I can't even imagine how long this took her to put together...all I know was that is was a work in progress from when I was a baby.

Every different colored square is a scrap of fabric from something my mom created for me. There are squares from pajamas, and dresses, formals, and dance costumes. Some I recognize others were before I can remember. Every single one was sewn in with me in mind, and I still marvel at the time and love that was put into this amazing work of art!! Thanks again Mom!!!
Obviously my best and most important "treasures" are the ones that these objects remind me of. But these things that I can hold and be reminded of specific times from the past are more valuable than all the money in the world!
What are YOUR treasures???
Have a wonderful Tuesday!!

22 comments:

April said...

How funny...when I gradutated from high school, my mom and dad gave me a cedar chest, too, by Lane. I absolutely love it! Inside are all the journals I've kept since I was in 5th grade, my daughter's Christening gowns, all the cards my husband and I have given to each other over the years, things my girls have made me....the list goes on and on! I really love that quilt your grandma made you...so unique!

Kelli said...

Those are some wonderful treasures! I love the little bracelet.

Sheila said...

That is so awesome!!! I absolutely adore the quilt your mom made for you - what a wonderful gift! One of my "treasured" items is the cedar chest that my dad made when he was 15! Of course my grandmother had it for awhile, and it has now been handed down to me.

Emily said...

Those are all priceless!! I got Melody those Elmo shoes since she too loves Elmo, and she never wears them and is actually afraid of them!

kado! said...

that is great! I have a couple boxes of treasures....lots of HS stuff...cheer uniforms, trophies, pictures.....and my favorite baby outfits of the kids....love that kind-a stuff!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

How COOL!!!!! Your mom put so much love and time into that quilt--that is just awesome. :) I love the little slippers and shoes. :)

My treasures would be....

~My dad's banjo that hangs over my couch
~My scrapbooks and photo albums
~My little cedar trunk that my dad refinished for me (it has a bunch of stuff inside)
~Some jewelry pieces
~(blushing) My favorite stuffed animal from my childhood...a cat from the Beatrix Potter tales...I won't even let Natalie have her ;)

Great post, Tanielle!!

Brandy@YDK said...

wow those are so great. such wonderful things to have. And that quilt is so awesome!

Cammie said...

those are awesome. I have a hope chest too, the oldest thing in it is my mom's diary from when she was 15. I also kept the kids first pair of shoes, and I have MY dance shoes and a recital costume from when I was 2. Lots of high school pictures, corsage from my prom, stuff like that.

Amy said...

I got a cedar chest when I was 16. I have my Grandmother's tap shoes and my old soccer shoes and many other memories in there.

Lisa Anne said...

My treasure is a bag of leaves my mom brought me back from Canada. I told her to bring me back a MAPLE LEAF (A hockey player, my Dad knew what i meant) and she brought me bag a baggy full of these pretty flowers and leaves. It's been several years now, well she's been gone for 8yrs so possibly 10yrs now and I still ahve that bag of leaves. I miss my mom!

shortmama said...

That quilt is gorgeous, what an amazing gift!

tammy dixon said...

Those are some great treasures and great stories. I love the quilt your mom made, what a special keepsake! And what a fun post, I might have to do something like it.

Lyryn said...

This is so cool!!! My mom didn’t give me a cedar chest, but more like a plastic bucket with all the crap she saved for me. The only thing in there that I really treasure is my blanket from when I was little.

This post really made me think about what I really held dear to me!

Unknown said...

OMG, those are some wonderful memories, and I have to say, I LOVE the quilt your Mom made for you, so special, makes me want to cry and I don't know you or your Mom, but those items are the best!

Heather said...

How funny! Logan had Cookie Monster slippers just like that. He wore through the bottom of them also. I haven't thought about that in along time. Thanks for the memory moment!

Jill said...

Hey Tanielle... how are you??

I can't believe how tiny her little wrist was. I had to look twice to realize you were comparing it to your ring. Oh and to keep stuff like favorite slippers, I do the same things! It's not silly... it's great!

Anonymous said...

This is such a sweet post! I love that you save all your sentimental things. I have a toy box that my mom gave to my firstborn. She's outgrown it now but I don't want to part with it. Maybe I'll turn it into my cedar chest?

CSL said...

That quilt is gorgeous! I think I'd cry if I had one of those.... Remember Laura Ingalls saying she ran her fingers over the quilt squares and remembered? (Wasn't it laura?)

Macey said...

Thank you for sharing your treasures! They really are beautiful. : )

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I'm tearing up a little bit here. That quilt is a treasure! Your mom is clearly talented.
I love that you've saved the shoes and bracelets and gowns. I'm sure that the kids love that you've saved those things.

Heidi Boos said...

Whenever I see a post like this I always feel so inspired to make sure I hang onto treasures like this for memories down the road. Now, if I could just remember that when I'm sorting through all of the "stuff" and just want to get rid of it all, I need to hang onto a few things! Thanks for sharing!

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

I'm catching up on posts I missed. This is really touching -- I love this post. Thanks for sharing your treasures!